Sunday, May 26, 2013

I Just Can't Help Believing by B. J. Thomas

I Just Can't Help Believing
1970
B.J.Thomas



I'm actually posting songs from opposite ends of the 70s again this week...Magnet and Steel was from 1978, and this one...B J Thomas's follow up to 'Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head'...is from 1970

Ok, recording a follow up to a mega-hit like 'Raindrops...'' can't be but so easy because you pretty well know it's probably not going to be as big if it was a hit at all...but then again B J managed to follow it up with another feel-good classic...'I Just Can't Help Believing'.

B J Thomas was not the first artist to record the song...Barry Mann and Bobby Vee both recorded it before he did, but the B J Thomas version is the one everyone remembers from the early seventies, and it’s the one that still shows up on Oldies stations pretty regularly. Listen to 103.7 out of Richmond, Va all day and I can guarantee you'll hear it. And it's a good bet that a lot of people will get a smile on their faces and start swaying to the rhythm of that strong organ and drum intro, and sing that first line right along with him. This was a feel good song of massive proportions and you couldn't help but smile when you heard it!

The song cracked the top 10...reaching # 9 on the Billboard Hot 100...and was covered by none other than The King Himself, Elvis Presley. The King did an awesome job with it...after all, it was Elvis Presley, he could have sung the phone book and made a hit out of it...but I gotta say I prefer the original B J Thomas version hands down.

So enjoy! 'I Just Can't Help Believing' by B J Thomas
And as a Bonus (Ya knew this was coming!) The King's version of 'I Just Can't Help Believing'

No comments:

Post a Comment